skip to main content
Facebook Twitter
Parent Resource Portal

Lake Ridge Food Service Parent Portal

Related Documents:
Understanding the Lunch Line

WELCOME to the Foodservice Parent Resource Page. Here you’ll find valuable resources including access to your child’s foodservice account, upcoming events, and our parent newsletter. By clicking the link below, you'll be connected to "My School Bucks."  There you can view your child’s current balance, meal history, and place payment onto their account.




Dear Parents and teachers anyone wanting to participate with our Wellness Committee please contact Toni Ratttray Food Service Direector 989-7812
Menus Subject to Change: We strive to serve our students the menus posted for breakfast and lunch. However, sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control, changes to the posted menus may occur. Please check with your child's school nutrition manager prior to meal service, if you have any concerns. We appreciate your cooperation.

Dear Parent/Guardian:


Children need healthy meals to learn. Lake Ridge New Tech offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs free; lunch costs $2.70 Elem and $2.90 Secondary. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is free for breakfast and .40for lunch. This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.


1.       Who can get free OR REDUCED PRICE meals?

·         All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP (Food Stamps) or TANF, are eligible for free meals.

·         Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.

·         Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.

·         Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.

2.       HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS homeless, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAY? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Sandy Sweeny.

3.       Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Useone Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household.We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Complete the application on line on the schools web site in the RDS Parent Portal.

4.       SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Toni Rattray 989-7812 immediately.

5.       CAN I APPLY ONLINE? Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit RDS Portal to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Toni Rattray 989-7812if you have any questions about the online application.

6.       MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price of meals.

7.       I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please send in an application.

8.       Will the information I give be checked? Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

9.       If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

10.    What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Toni Rattray 989-7812.

11.    May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

12.    What if my income is not always the same?List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

13.    WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

14.    We are in the military. do we REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY?Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. Ifyou get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

15.    WHAT IF THERE ISN’T ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Toni Rattray 989-7812 to receive a second application.

16.    My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for SNAP (Food Stamp) or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-403-0864.

If you have other questions or need help, call Toni RATTRAY




Toni Rattray











Please use these instructions to help you fill out the application for free or reduced price school meals. You only need to submit one application per household, even if your children attend more than one school in Lake Ridge New Tech. The application must be filled out completely to certify your children for free or reduced price school meals. Please follow these instructions in order! Each step of the instructions is the same as the steps on your application. If at any time you are not sure what to do next, please contact Toni Rattray 989-7812.


Tell us how many infants,   children, and school students live in your household. They do NOT have to be   related to you to be a part of your household.

Who should I   list here? When   filling out this section, please include ALL members in your household who   are:

·           Children age 18 or under AND are supported with the household’s   income;

·           In your care under a foster arrangement, or qualify as homeless,   migrant, or runaway youth;

·           Students attending Lake Ridge New Tech,   regardless of age.

A) List each   child’s name. Print each child’s name. Use one line of the application   for each child. If there are more children present than lines on the   application, attach a second piece of paper with all required information for   the additional children.

B) Is the child a student at Lake Ridge Schools? Mark ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ under   the column titled “Student” to tell us which children attend Lake Ridge Schools. If you marked ‘Yes,’   write the name of the school building, birthdate, and grade level of the   student in the ‘Grade’ column to the right.

Is the child living with parent or caretaker relative? Mark ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ next to   each child.

C) Do you have any foster children? If any children listed are foster children,   mark the “Foster Child” box next to the child’s name. If you are ONLY applying for foster children,   after finishing STEP 1, go to STEP 4.

Foster children who live   with you may count as members of your household and should be listed on your   application.   If you are applying for both foster and non-foster children, go to step   3.

D) Are any children homeless, migrant, or   runaway? If you believe any child listed in this section meets this   description, mark the “Homeless, Migrant, Runaway” box next to the child’s   name and complete all steps of the application.



If anyone in your household (including you)   currently participates in one or more of the assistance programs listed   below, your children are eligible for free school meals:

·           The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

·           Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

A) If no one in your household participates   in any of the above listed programs:

·           Leave STEP 2 blank and go   to STEP 3.

B) If anyone in your household participates   in any of the above listed programs:

·           Write a case number for SNAP or TANF. You only need to provide one   case number. If you participate in one of these programs and do not know your   case number, contact: 1-800-403-0864.

·           Go to STEP 4.




How do I report my income?


Sources of Income for Children






-     Earnings from work


-     A child has a regular full or part-time job where they earn a salary or     wages


-  Social Security


-  Disability Payments


-      Survivor’s     Beneï¬Âts


-     A child is blind or disabled and receives Social Security beneï¬Âts


- A Parent is disabled, retired, or deceased, and their child receives Social Security beneï¬Âts


-Income     from person outside the household


- A friend or extended family member regularly gives a     child spending money


-Income     from any other source


-     A child receives regular income from a private pension fund, annuity, or     trust


·           Use the charts titled Sources   of Income for AdultsandSources   of Income for Children,” located below to determine if your household   has income to report.


Sources of Income for Adults




PublicAssistance/ Alimony / Child     Support


Pensions/ Retirement / All Other     Income


-  - Salary, wages, cash bonuses


-      -     Net income from self- employment (farm or business)




If     you are in the U.S. Military:




-  - Basic pay and cash bonuses (do NOT include combat pay, FSSA or privatized housing allowances)


-  - Allowances for off-base housing, food and clothing


-      - Unemployment     beneï¬Âts


-      Worker’s     compensation


-  - Supplemental Security Income     (SSI)


-  - Cash assistance from State or     local government


-  - Alimony payments


-  - Child support payments


-  - Veteran’s beneï¬Âts


-  - Strike beneï¬Âts


- Social Security (including railroad     retirement and black lung beneï¬Âts)


- Private pensions or disability benefits


- Regular income     from trusts or estates


- Annuities


- Investment     income


- Earned interest


- Rental income


- Regular cash payments from outside     household




·           Report all amounts in GROSS INCOME ONLY. Report all income in whole dollars.   Do not include cents.

o      Gross income is the total income received before taxes

o      Many people think of income as the amount they “take home” and not the   total, “gross” amount. Make sure that the income you report on this   application has NOT been reduced to pay for taxes, insurance premiums, or any   other amounts taken from your pay.

·           Write a “0” in any fields where there is no income to report. Any   income fields left empty or blank will also be counted as a zero. If you   write ‘0’ or leave any fields blank, you are certifying (promising) that   there is no income to report. If local officials suspect that your household   income was reported incorrectly, your application will be investigated.

·           Mark how often each type of income is received using the check boxes   to the right of each field.


A) Report all income earned or received by   children. Report the combined gross income for ALL children listed in   STEP 1 in your household in the box marked “Child Income.” Only count foster   children’s income if you are applying for them together with the rest of your   household.

What is Child   Income?Child income is money   received from outside your household that is paid DIRECTLY to your children.   Many households do not have any child income.


Who should I list here?

  • When filling out this section, please include        ALL adult members in your household who are living with you and share        income and expenses, even if they are not related and even if they do        not receive income of their own.
  • Do NOT include:

o      People who live with you but are not supported by your household’s   income AND do not contribute income to your household.

o      Infants, Children and students already listed in STEP 1.

B) List adult   household members’ names. Print the name of each household member in the   boxes marked “Names of Adult Household Members (First and Last).” Do not   list any household members you listed in STEP   1. If a child listed in STEP 1   has income, follow the instructions in STEP   3, part A.

C) Report earnings from work. Report all income from   work in the “Earnings from Work” field on the application. This is usually   the money received from working at jobs. If you are a self-employed business   or farm owner, you will report your net income.

What if I am self-employed? Report income from that   work as a net amount. This is calculated by subtracting the total operating   expenses of your business from its gross receipts or revenue.

D) Report income from public assistance/child   support/alimony. Report all income that applies in the “Public Assistance/Child   Support/Alimony” field on the application. Do not report the cash value of   any public assistance benefits NOT listed on the chart. If income is   received from child support or alimony, only report court-ordered payments.   Informal but regular payments should be reported as “other” income in the   next part.

Free & Reduced Applications may be completed through the Lake Ridge Parent Portal, known as “RDS Parent Portal” by clicking the icon. If you receive tanf or food stamps you do not have to fill out the main body of the application you will receive a letter at the begining of the school year letting you know child status is free.

Do you have any questions, suggestions, or comments? Contact Toni

RDS Lake Ridge Parent Portal 
6111 West Ridge Road | Gary, IN 46408 | Ph: 219-838-1819 | Fx: 219-989-7802